Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Honest John's
488 Selden Street
 Detroit, MI 48201



Honest John's has been a local bar establishment in the Midtown (Cass Corridor) area of Detroit for several years.  It is the prototypical neighborhood dive bar.  I have only recently been visiting HJ's over the last year or so.  Judging by the clientele dressed in scrubs, this place is frequented by employees of the Detroit Medical Center (hopefully after their work shift, J/K).

I first became aware of Honest John's back a couple of decades ago, the owner at the time, John Thompson, would organize 'Polar Bear Swims for Charity' in the Detroit River.  I don't believe the bar runs this event anymore.  Recently, I have read that the owners of the Sugar House have recently bought Honest John's.  They expect to keep the same dive bar atmosphere.  

Honest John's opens for breakfast at 7:00 AM and the Sunday morning that I took the above photo, they were pretty busy.  Because they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, their menu is pretty extensive.  Last time I ate here, my wife had the Corn Beef sandwich and I had the Turkey Reuben.  We both enjoyed the sandwiches.  

During the warmer months, Honest John's has a patio area (like most good bars in Detroit) in the back adjacent to their parking lot. I get a kick out of sitting outside at a local bar in Downtown Detroit and Honest John's is no exception.  

Once again, if one is in the Midtown area of Detroit and wants to pick up a bite to eat, stop by Honest John's.  




No comments:

Post a Comment