Sunday, August 4, 2013

Howell's Bar
 1035 Mason St. Dearborn, MI
 313-565-6322


I have known of Howell's Bar for probably 5 decades, but the first time I visited Howell's was this week; August 1, 2013.  This is a brief review due to my limited, but enjoyable experience.

Howell's is located one block south of Michigan Avenue in downtown West Dearborn about 1 mile from Ford's Research and Engineering Center.  In bar vernacular, Howell's would be classified as a 'Dive' bar.  However, saying that, it is in very good shape, and has that cozy corner bar atmosphere.  I found that the help was very friendly and accommodating. 

Like Miller's down the street, Howell's offers a limited bar menu including fish dinners.  This week, I only sampled their cheese burger and fries.  I thought the burger was very good and the day I went, they only offered steak fries which I enjoyed.  The waitress/cook, it was not busy during the weekday lunch hour, said, when I ordered the burger medium, is that how she normally cooks the burgers.  So if you want a well done burger, you may have to be very specific.  The condiments were standard, like Miller's, although Howell's also offers fresh tomatoes.  

It does not appear like Howell's offers any different beers other then domestic and Canadian brands.  Although I would consider Howell's a dive bar, it was very clean and nothing was run down about it.  Plus for a bit of nostalgia, Howell's has a couple of wood phone booths in their back area.

Based on my first impression, I plan on visiting Howell's again in the coming months for a very good hamburger for lunch.

 

1 comment:

  1. Since Howell's burned down I would like to see a review of the new restaurant, unless it turned into a salad bar.

    ReplyDelete